How to Pull Off A Memorable Father’s Day
Want to be a hero this Father’s Day? Then give dad what he really wants. Our quick Father’s Day guide will teach you how pull of a memorable Father’s Day in just 3 easy steps.
1. For starters, don’t get him a tie! Or any other disappointing gift, for that matter. In a recent survey of the worst Father’s Day gifts, ties, socks and underwear ranked at the top.
But you’d be surprised at some of the other worst gift rankers. Tools, briefcases, and things that remind him of chores or work are usually red flags. Does dad really like mowing the lawn? And beard-trimmers and grooming supplies may seem like fool-proof gifts, but if he really needed a nose trimmer wouldn’t he have bought himself one (and not wasted his gift on it)?
Rule of thumb: Be smarter than the marketing executives. Just because there’s a Father’s Day sale, doesn’t mean it’s a good gift!
2. Plan an outing. Something that will make him feel like the amazing dad he is. This could be anything from a BBQ in your backyard, to a fabulous weekend getaway in Vegas, or anything in between. To plan the ideal day out, you must first channel your “inner dad.” What would you want to do if you were in his shoes? A day of fishing with a cooler of cold brews? An afternoon of pure pampering at the spa? Or a big, hearty meal (we’re thinking prime rib and crab legs) with all the people you love? No matter what the outing, a little advance planning (even just 48-hours is good) will make you a hero in his eyes.
3. Don’t Skip the Gift Altogether. Yes, we advise against lame-o gifts and suggest planning a special day, but this doesn’t mean you should show up empty handed. It’s nice to give him a little something, too.
Here are a few quick tips to get him the gift he always wanted.
• Determine Your Budget: You don’t need to break the bank in order to give an awesome gift. A quick search in Pinterest can really get the creative (and cost-effective) juices flowing. And the result? A one-of-a-kind gift that will tug on his heartstrings.
• Know Your Dad: This may seem like a no-brainer, but how well do you actually know your dad? Is he a beer connoisseur? Tech geek? What does he love to do? Is he passionate about golf, cars or the great outdoors? Then shop (and by shop, we mean actually drive to a brick and mortar storefront) at a specialty store that carries his favorite things.
• Do Your Research. Yes, Father’s Day is just a few days away, but don’t think that means your opportunity to nab the perfect gift has passed. But, time is of the essence. So dedicate some time today for research. Google the Top 25 gift ideas, scroll the pages of Pinterest, or roam the aisles of that super-duper sports store. If you are still at a loss, there is even a quiz you can take at www.gifts.com to help you with some outside-the-box ideas. Either way, an hour of thoughtfulness before your purchase will really go a long way.
Now, let’s raise a glass to pop (and you, for giving him the best Father’s Day ever)!