Meet Super Diamond – The Ideal Neil Diamond Tribute
Get your sequins ready! On Saturday, June 22 we’ll host Super Diamond, a Neil Diamond tribute band unlike any other inside the M Pavilion. This popular tribute band interprets Neil Diamond’s music in a surreal way blending fun with riffs from some of America’s other favorite groups like Led Zepplin and KISS. We spoke with Randy Cordeiro, aka, Surreal Neil, to get the inside scoop on this band.
1. We have to ask. Why Neil Diamond? We believe Neil Diamond is one of America’s greatest singer/songwriters of all time. A lot of people don’t realize that, so it’s our mission to spread the “good word” of Neil all across America.
2. Super Diamond has been interpreting and recreating the sounds of Neil Diamond for nearly 20 years. How did the six of you meet? And how challenging has it been to keep the group together for two decades? I was sitting in with some San Francisco bands now and then, playing solo for a few years before meeting the right kind of people to create a group. Super Diamond is a combination of guys that I sat in with during those San Francisco years. We were all on the same page as far as approaching our Neil Diamond show with an alternative edge and a little bit of tongue in cheek humor…just a little!
3. The Diamond hits are many – “America,” “Sweet Caroline” and “Cracklin’ Rose” to name a few – what is your favorite song to perform and why? My favorite song we play is “Brooklyn Roads”. It’s an amazing song musically, and it’s something I personally relate to.
4. You’ve met the real Neil several times, what was the experience like? Each time meeting Neil was awesome! He sang with us twice! Unreal!! He’s a very normal and down-to-earth guy for a living legend.
5. How is Surreal Neil different from Randy Cordeiro? Surreal Neil is a ham and Randy is shy, and I hear that all the time. It took me a while to get Surreal Neil to move around that much and take control with so much confidence.
6. Have you performed in Las Vegas before and what was the audience response? We’ve played Las Vegas many times and the response has always been terrific! Just like everywhere else, really. Neil Diamond fans are the best, wherever we go!
7. You’ve performed all over the country, what continues to drive you and the band to perform? We love our job! Every show is a party! We get to travel and see our friends in different cities. Best job I’ve ever had!
8. What can Diamond Head fans expect to see when they come to your show at the M Pavilion in June? We’ve created a great, brand new mash-up of “Desiree” and “Long Time” by Boston we hope they enjoy, and you won’t hear any recorded tracks at a Super Diamond show. It’s all live.
9. Where do you see yourselves and/or Super Diamond in 5 or 10 years? Continuing to spread the “good word” of Neil across America! For 20 years we’ve improved as a band and I have no doubt that we will be a better band in five years, and better yet in 10. Also playing Europe and Australia are some of our goals.
10. What’s your favorite drink and what does it say about you? Love on the rocks! Ain’t no surprise.
Want to win tickets to see Super Diamond? We’re giving away 10 pairs of tickets to see Super Diamond on Saturday, June 22. To enter, just comment on our blog telling us your favorite Neil Diamond song, including those written by him. All entries must be posted by Thursday, June 13 at 3 pm. We’ll announce the winners on our Facebook page on Friday, June 14. Good luck!