Digital Detox: Unplug and Unwind at M
Do you panic if you leave your phone(s) at home when running a quick errand? Are you always checking emails and text messages no matter where you are or who you're with? Chances are a digital detox is in order. Weaning ourselves off our favorite mobile devices is much harder than it sounds - even if only for a short period of time.
These devices are called "smart phones" for a reason and make many of our daily tasks a breeze with electronic assistance. But, with the need to respond to messages and check websites 24/7, stress levels and productivity are naturally affected. It's important to allow yourself to switch off and enjoy the company of who you're with in the present moment and we're here to help!
Here are a few tips to prepare yourself for a detox, before you leave for vacation:
- Push work deadlines back and arrange an extension if you're worried.
- Addicted to social media? Schedule tweets and other updates while you're gone using HootSuite or other programs that allow you to do so.
- Set your TiVo to record shows so you won't worry about missing any of your favorites.
- Depending on the length of your trip, ask someone back home to write you a letter (yes, the old fashion kind with pen and paper). You can open it halfway through your detox to keep you going.
- Write a plan for your first day back to ease yourself into the world of communication once again. Make sure no meetings are scheduled which will allow time for jet leg and catching up.
- Most importantly, let people know you won't be able to be reached instead of saying, "I'll be replying to urgent messages only."
During your next getaway at M (or anywhere) de-tech yourself by shutting off your mobile phones, tablets and other gadgets once you arrive. If you're really feeling daring, leave them all at home! This will allow you to fully enjoy your technology-free break.
If a shorter digital detox is order, book yourself a spa day at Spa Mio. The use of mobile phones isn't permitted in the confines of our relaxing four-star rated spa. Switching off your device, even if only for a matter of hours, will help you leave more relaxed and refreshed (trust us!).